The Barnetts

Stories

The Barnetts

Canon Samuel Barnett and his wife Henrietta first came to the East End in 1872Read More

Canon Samuel Barnett and his wife Henrietta first came to the East End in 1872 to the poverty stricken parish of St Jude’s.

Along with friends from Oxford University, the Barnetts went on to establish the first university settlement house, Toynbee Hall, in Whitechapel.

Toynbee Hall was named after fellow social reformer and friend of the Barnetts, Arnold Toynbee, who before his death in 1883 inspired them with his work with London’s poor.